Pages

Monday, December 10, 2012

Musings on the finale of HBO's BOARDWALK EMPIRE


December 10, 2012

As my readers know, this blog is all about the melding of history and entertainment. Fortunately, there is never any shortage of material that fits into that category. One of my favorite history as entertainment programs is HBO’s Boardwalk Empire. For those who are unaware of the show, Boardwalk Empire is the creation of Martin Scorsese, Mark Wahlberg, Terence Winter, Tim Van Patten and other very talented filmmakers. It chronicles the exploits of Enoch (Nucky) Thompson (played by Steve Buscemi) as he uses largely illegal means to control Prohibition-era Atlantic City, New Jersey.  Nucky Thompson is technically a fictional character, but he is based largely on corrupt politician/racketeer Enoch L. Johnson (Nucky Johnson), who controlled Atlantic City from the 1910s until his imprisonment in 1941. In Boardwalk Empire, the fictional Nucky Thompson cavorts with an assortment of real-life historical figures ranging from prominent members of President Warren G. Harding’s cabinet to gangsters like Al Capone, Lucky Luciano and Arnold Rothstein. The African American character Albert “Chalky” White seems to be loosely based on a real-life boxer from that time named Chalky Wright, though the character on Boardwalk Empire is a bootlegger, not a boxer and the real Chalky Wright actually spent very little time in Atlantic City in the 1920s.

The season two finale of Boardwalk Empire aired a little over a week ago (Sunday December 2, 2012). It was good and left me longing for more, but it wasn’t as surprising as the finale for season one, and it wasn’t as exciting as the previous episode promised it would be. The season one finale brought viewers the death of James Darmody, one of the most complex and pivotal characters in the series. The episode prior to the season two finale brought Al Capone and Chalky White to Nucky’s aid and promised an unsteady alliance for the final episode. I was a little disappointed by the conclusion of season two because, based on the ending of season one, I was expecting to be hit with something totally unpredictable. Unfortunately, the season concluded the way I expected it might with villain Gyp Rosetti meeting his Maker and Nucky regaining his empire with his brother Eli Thompson by his side. I would have preferred to see something a little bit more by the way of a cliffhanger for the main character. I also would have liked to have seen more of the plight of former Prohibition Agent Nelson Van Alden. Those of you who watch the show know who I’m talking about. Former agent Van Alden is one of the show’s most dynamic characters who, at the end of season two, is in the midst of a transformation from incorruptible do-gooder to gangster. It is a great journey for the character and one I would love to see further developed.

I think I was expecting more from the finale of the second season because the actors and filmmakers of this series have consistently done an incredible job of sucking me into the drama and giving me characters I legitimately care about (even the really bad ones). Viewers of Boardwalk Empire have a lingering sense of inevitable catastrophe as we watch the series unfold. We seem to be forever waiting for the volatile characters to explode and take much of humanity down with them. It’s an excitement we relish…unpredictable, simmering just below the surface, ready to surprise us at any moment. That is why I was mildly disappointed by the last episode of season two. It promised the volcanic detonation I had come to expect, but delivered the equivalent of a few sticks of dynamite exploding in an abandoned distillery.

Don’t get me wrong, I still love the show, recommend it highly and can’t wait for the start of season three. I just want a payoff in my finales that is not what I expect…like when Nucky Thompson killed Jimmy Darmody at the end of season one. Now that was a finale!  

No comments:

Post a Comment